Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Fish Out of Water

Original Post:  Tuesday, October 12, 2009


I now know how a fish out of water feels, taking this online course has really made me realize how little I know about technology and its abilities.
The teaching project was really an eye opener for me. I didn't realize how much was available for faculty to use to produce an online class. Google docs was really great and very helpful. I can see having my students use that in producing group work online for me in a future class. The ability for several of us to type and edit at the same time and be able to also use the chat line for communication was unbelievable. Then when I began searching the web and various sites for different items to use in the teaching project, I was amazed at finding all the really interesting things I could have my students do online.

With that in mind I remembered the article 17 Elements to Good Online Courses and Inside, Outside, Upside and Downside Strategies for Connecting Online and Face-to-Face Instruction in Hybrid Courses. I felt that the class I am presently teaching would not be good as an immersed on line course, but as it is in its present state it could really go online as a hybrid or “Communal web centered” as Idaho State University’s ITRC Guide referred to it. I didn't even know there were so many different levels of online teaching. It was interesting to see how they differed with administrative being no course content to immersive being total course and no face to face teaching. With the information I gained from producing the teaching project and these reading about constructing online/hybrid courses I might try it.
Because my course is one of the first courses these nursing students take I feel using it as a hybrid would be best. The students are scared enough coming into the program, I don't wasn't then to quit before they start. To better benefit the student teaching them the use of computer technology and assist them in general computer use in a hybrid course. I am really getting excited about the possibility of this course next year.

I am beginning to see where it is possible and we the teacher don't have to be always on the stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment